Robert L. Sherwood, of Carbondale, Garfield county, this state, is a product of the West, and he has tried many of its various lines of usefulness with varying success, sometimes on the crest of an advancing wave of prosperity and again in the trough of a sea of deep adversity. But by persistent effort and natural ability he has at length steered his barque to a safe harbor and is securely anchored to a substantial prosperity and an elevated place in the regard of his fellow men. He was born at Helena, Montana, on April 14, 1865, where his parents had settled a number of years before. He is the son of Anson and Meda (Leggett) Sherwood, the father a native of Coldwater, Michigan, and the mother of New York state. During the Civil war the father served as a captain in the Union army, and was injured in the service. On his return to Helena he conducted a hotel until his death, in 1868. After that sad event his widow moved her family to Georgetown, Colorado, where she carried on a millinery business from 1869 to 1872. She then removed to Denver and opened an establishment of the same kind, which she conducted until 1876, when she sold out, and took up her residence in 1881 at Buena Vista, this state. Here she once more started in the millinery business, which she carried on until her death in January, 1882. There were two children in the family, Clara, wife of Frank A. Moore, of Florence, and Robert L. The son was educated to a limited extent at the public schools, and at the age of twelve became a helper in the clerical department of a leading drug store at Denver. He was next a sacker in a flouring-mill in the same city, and was then in the employ of Dr. Huggins, of Denver, and while working for him was able to attend school a portion of the time. Three years were spent in his service, and at the end of that period Mr. Sherwood engaged in market gardening and found a profitable trade in the city. In 1879 he moved to Leadville and, in partnership with P.J. Hall and L.J. Cella, conducted several peanut stands. This also proved a profitable venture and at the end of a year he sold his interest in the business for six hundred dollars. He next opened a restaurant at Durango, but as the population was at that time largely composed of outlaws who were bad pay, he was obliged to close his doors in a short time. Moving on, he went to Silverton, but not being pleased with the outlook, he went farther to Rico where he worked in the mines at a compensation of three dollars and a half a day. Here he got a financial start again, then continued working in the mines at Georgetown, but on his own account. At the end of a year he moved to Routt county and located a ranch and devoted a year to raising cattle. In 1884 he disposed of his interests for two bronchos [sic] and a note for the sum of thirty dollars, then moved to Hot Sulphur Springs. Here he secured a contract to carry the United States mails between that place and Steamboat Springs, which he continued to do for eighteen months. He then returned to Georgetown and leased a mine which he worked with moderate success until he changed his residence to Aspen, where he dealt in grain and hay for a period. After that he rented a ranch two miles and a half northwest of Aspen, and after conducting its operations some time, bought one of two hundred and forty acres, which he managed until 1900, when he sold it to Charles Wise. Soon after this he bought the business he now owns and runs, a livery and transfer enterprise, making the purchase of H.C. Jessup. This has been very profitable and continues to be. Mr. Sherwood was married on February 28, 1888, to Miss Emma Cruikshank, a native of Chicago and daughter of Alexander and Margaret Cruikshank, the former born in New York state and the latter in Scotland. They located in Illinois in early life and in 1879 moved to Colorado. The father was a carpenter and contractor, and followed his business at various places. In 1880 they moved to Aspen, and here he continued in the industrious pursuit of his vocation until he accidentally met his death in 1886. He belonged to the Masonic order, being the oldest member of Aspen Lodge, and was a Republican in politics and a Presbyterian in church affiliation. The mother was a Congregationalist. They were the parents of seven children, of whom four are living: Minnie A., wife of Clifton Warren, of Chicago; Lottie B., wife of Josiah Dean, of Denver; Nellie, wife of Mortimer Flack, of Lake Geneva, Wisconsin; and Mrs. Sherwood. Mr. and Mrs. Sherwood have had eight children, four of whom have died, two passing away in infancy, Meda on August 15, 1902, and Stella on July 10, 1900. The four living are Lottie, Robert, Clara and Eloise.
Source: Bowen, A. W. Progressive Men of Western Colorado. Chicago: A. W. Bowen & Co., Publishers. 1905.