Born and partially reared on an Illinois farm, educated in the public schools, migrating to this state a number of years ago and here engaging in a number of different pursuits, ranching, freighting, raising stock, and doing other useful and profitable things, Frank D. Squire, an esteemed citizen of Garfield county, living in the neighborhood of Rifle, has had much variety in his career and has seen human life under many different circumstances. His life began at Rockford, Winnebago county, Illinois, on November 25, 1858, and he is the son of Reuben and Mary E. (Simpson) Squire, natives of the state of New York, the father born in Livingston county and the mother at Norfolk, in St. Lawrence county. Soon after their marriage they located in Illinois, then in 1863 moved to Iowa and in 1865 to Colorado, locating in El Paso county. Previous to coming to this state they were farmers, but here the father turned his attention to lumbering and met with fair success. He was a man of influence in his section and heartily supported the Republican party in political matters. He and his wife belonged to the Congregational church. They were the parents of eight children, one of whom died in infancy. The other seven survive the father, who died on January 31, 1875. They are Eva, wife of Jonathan Goodrich, of Rifle; Frank D., of Garfield county; Elmer E., of Telluride; Charles G., of Grand Junction; Laura, wife of Smith Harper, of River Bend; Reuben M., of Pueblo; and Walter S., of Grand Mesa, all residents of Colorado. Frank remained with his parents until he was fifteen, working on the farm and in the lumber business, and attending the public schools when he could. When he reached the age mentioned he began hustling for himself, freighting until the fall of 1887. Until 1879 he was in El Paso county with headquarters at Buena Vista, then went to Jefferson county and later to Aspen, carrying on the same business, and at the last named place also staging. From 1886 until 1887 he had charge of the toll road. On November 16, 1886, he bought twenty-five acres of the ranch he now owns and he has since added one hundred and sixty acres by purchase. Of the whole tract he can cultivate one hundred and twenty acres, and he raises good crops of hay, grain, vegetables and fruit, but cattle form his chief production and his main reliance. He belongs to the Odd Fellows and the Woodmen of the World, and in politics gives an ardent and effective support to the Republican party. On April 11, 1886, he was married to Miss Anna Russell, who was born in Illinois and is the daughter of Axel and Ellen Russell, natives, respectively, of Ohio and Connecticut. They moved from Illinois to Colorado in 1872, and here the father became a merchant instead of farming as he had done before. He was the founder of Rocky Ford and prospered there in mercantile business, attaining prominence in local affairs as a zealous working Republican, and also as a superior business man and good citizen. For a number of years he served as county judge in Bent county. He was also prominent in the Masonic order. They had six children, one of whom, then Mrs. M. Williford, died. The other five survive their father, who died on July 6, 1903. They are: Josie, wife of Joseph Brant, of Denver; Augusta R., wife of Glen Reynolds, of Texas; Anna, wife of Mr. Squire; Warren, living in California; and Platt, a resident of Denver. Their mother died on April 10, 1892.
Source: Bowen, A. W. Progressive Men of Western Colorado. Chicago: A. W. Bowen & Co., Publishers. 1905.