Born to a destiny of privation and toil, and ever without the aid of adventitious circumstances and fortune’s favors, Irving M. Kellogg has triumphed over all difficulties by his own industry, thrift and native force of character. He was born on February 27, 1855, in Lorain county, Ohio, and is the son of Clement A. and Susan (Reynolds) Kellogg, who were both born and reared in Ohio., The father was an inventor and made good profits out of his genius from time to time. He was an earnest and loyal Democrat in political affiliation, and stood high in the community of his home. They had a family of five children, but three of whom are living. They are Estella, wife of Mr. Leslie, of Elgin, Ohio; Irving M., at Rifle; and Boyd, of East Carmel, Ohio. The father is deceased and the mother now lives in Ohio. Irving is, so far as scholastic education is concerned, a product of the public schools, but he also received a good business education at Oberlin, in his native state. At the age of fourteen he braved the world and all its trials in an effort to make his own living, and from then on has provided for himself. He started as a cash boy in the employ of R.A.D. Forrest, of Cleveland, with whom he remained six years, rising by merit in this period to the post of chief clerk in the establishment. In 1875 and 1876 he was engaged in the retail meat and grocery trade on his own account. He then became a traveling salesman of patent rights and followed this line for a time. From 1877 to 1880 he lived at Columbus Grove, Ohio, then in the latter year moved to what is now South Dakota, where he farmed with indifferent success until 1886. In that year he came to Colorado and settled at Leadville where he worked in the freight department of the railroad company until 1896, when he took charge of the road house between Rifle and Meeker, and in connection with that conducted a ranch, continuing until 1902, at which time he sold the ranch and his cattle at a good price and went back to Ohio on a visit. Being well pleased with Colorado, he returned and bought a ranch comprising two hundred and forty acres on Piceance creek, which he held until 1903, then sold it and moved to the one he now owns and works. This comprises sixty-three acres, of which he can cultivate forty-five in hay, grain, vegetables and fruit of all kinds, the hay, grain and a dairy business being his principal dependence. Although actively interested in public affairs and the growth and improvement of his neighborhood, Mr. Kellogg is independent in politics. On September 12, 1876, he was united in marriage with Miss Lillian Arnold, a native of Rhode Island who was reared at Cleveland, Ohio. She is the daughter of Peleg R. and Betsey (Carpenter) Arnold, who were born and reared in Rhode Island and who moved to Ohio in 1856, remaining in that state until 1879, when they came to Colorado and located at Leadville. In 1894 they changed their residence to Kokomo, where the father still resides, the mother having died on December 16, 1899. The parents were members of the Baptist church, and the father has long been a wholesale and retail meat merchant. All of their six children are living: Frederick, at Leadville; Luella (Mrs. Henry Damon), at Winnebago, Minnesota; Mrs. Kellogg, in Garfield county; Mary (Mrs. Frank Wood), at Morgantown, West Virginia; Franklin, at Salt Lake City; and William, at Englewood, Illinois.
Source: Bowen, A. W. Progressive Men of Western Colorado. Chicago: A. W. Bowen & Co., Publishers. 1905.